In this Privacy Notice the terms, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ are references to Daniel Thornhill t/a Thornhill's Gardening (TG).This Privacy Notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you through this website, that you provide to us through this website or via other methods you may communicate with us, will be processed by us.
- What information is being collected if you are a prospective or existing customer?
- Use of the information we collect
- The basis upon which we (and our partners) will deal with your information, Special Data and Criminal Disclosures
- What is the source of the information we collect?
- Data retention
- Disclosure of information
- Third party websites
- Your rights
Your privacy is important to us, and we are committed to keeping your information secure and managing it in accordance with our legal responsibilities under applicable data protection laws.By accessing, browsing or otherwise using this site you confirm that you have read and agree to this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree with any part of this Privacy Notice, you should not use this site or use our services.We reserve the right to change the contents of this website, including this Privacy Notice at any time, by posting such changes on this website. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the Privacy Notice regularly to ensure that you are aware of any changes. Your continued use of this website following the posting of any such changes will constitute your acceptance of the revised Privacy Notice.This Privacy Notice was last updated on 30 January 2020. Please contact us using the details below should you require any clarification regarding how we may have processed your data prior to this date.
What information is being collected if you are a prospective or existing customer?
We may collect personal information from you in connection with your use of the website, including such personal information as:
- your name, email address, telephone number and address when you register for our mailing list or use an online form to arrange a consultation or gardening service;
- cookie data which relates to your use of this website;
- data sent from your browser to our server which may include:
- the time, date and duration of your visit to this website;
- the site from which you have come (the referral URL);
- the pages visited on this website; and
- your IP address.
We may also collect information from you in connection with a service or product provided to you by us, including personal information such as:
- your name, postal address, phone number, email address and garden entry details where you engage us to provide gardening services on your behalf in person, by telephone or by email;
We may collect personal information from you which is of a sensitive nature when you voluntarily choose to provide such information to us. Where we do so we treat this information in accordance with the additional protection it is given under data protection laws.
Use of the information we collect
Providing you with services:
- To allow us to provide you with the gardening services which you have asked us to provide;
- to better understand your requirements and provide you with services specific to your needs;
- to improve our services by analysing your personal information so we better understand how you use our services;
to keep our client records up to date;
Marketing of our services to you:
- to provide you with any deals and information which we reasonably believe may be relevant to you based on the services we are providing to you including information on plants and gardening;
- to carry out targeted advertising to you on social media websites such as Facebook where you have already shown an interest in our services. This is done through analysing information we collect about your interactions on This website and making this available to social media networks;
Responding to your queries:
- to help answer any questions which you have asked one of our agents or staff members;
- to provide you with a quote for our services;
Improving this website:
- to analyse cookie and website usage data to keep improving this website;
- to allow us to customise the content which is presented to you based on your likely interests;
Legal and regulatory obligations:
- to comply with applicable laws where we are obliged to retain and/or disclose certain information;
- to investigate or address claims or complaints relating to your use of our services;
- for internal and external auditing purposes;
- to carry out anti-money laundering checks;
- to carry out the right to rent checks;
- to transfer information to any entity which may acquire rights in us;
- to collect a debt which is owed to us;
- for onward referencing where you are a tenant; and
- retention of copyright in all advertising material (including photographs) used to market your property including reserving the right to use these for marketing initiatives following the sale of the property.
What is the source of the information we collect?
All personal information which we collect will have been voluntarily provided by you.
The personal information that you provide will be retained by us in accordance with applicable laws and our internal Retention Policy. However, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information we hold if it is no longer needed for the purposes set out above. We will only hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant purpose for which it was collected. A copy of our Retention Policy is available on request.
Disclosure of information
The information you provide to us will be held on our computers in the UK and may be accessed by or given to our staff or sub-contractors for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice or for other purposes approved by you.
We use the information you provide us with to keep you informed about products or services which we provide and which we believe you may be interested in. Where we conduct marketing we do so in accordance with applicable laws.Where you contact us through this website, register a TG account, or make an enquiry in person or on the phone, we will use the details you have supplied to us to provide you with our general property marketing by email unless you choose to ‘opt-out’ of these communications. If you do ‘opt-out’ then we will not send you information relating to our gardening services by email.We may however contact you in future by phone where we reasonably believe (on the basis of services that we are providing to you) that there are additional, different services which you may be interested in. This may be, for example to offer you an introduction to mortgage and protection services when we are assisting you with your search for a property, or to introduce you to insurance services at the point at which you have exchanged contracts for the purchase of a house or agreed a tenancy, or to offer you conveyancing services. We rely on legitimate interests as a lawful basis for processing your information to conduct this above marketing and we ensure you always have the right to opt out of receiving marketing communications from us. If you wish to never receive any form of marketing communication from us you can let us know by contacting us (using the details provided below). We do not pass on your information to other companies for their own marketing purposes without your express consent.If, at any time, you prefer not to receive further communications from us (except in connection with information, products or services that you specifically request), you will have the ability to unsubscribe from such communications by means of a link provided in every message that is sent to you by us or by contacting us.
Third party websites
This website may contain links to other websites. We accept no responsibility or liability for the content of other websites which are not under our strict control, in particular, we are not responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting other websites and such sites are not governed by our Privacy Notice.
We employ security measures which aim to protect the information provided by you from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.We also expect you to take reasonable steps to safeguard your own privacy when transferring information to us, such as not sending confidential information over unprotected email, ensuring email attachments are password protected or encrypted and only using secure methods of postage when original documentation is sent to us.
You can request copies of your personal information within our custody and control and details of how we use that information. If you think any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, you may also request it is corrected or erased. You can request an electronic copy of your personal data be sent to you, or to another organisation should you wish. You also have a right to require us to stop processing your personal information and/or to withdraw your agreement to processing based on ‘consent’, unless we have a legal justification for doing so. If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information you may contact us using the details below and we will investigate your complaint.
Right to access personal information
You have a right to request that we provide you with a copy of your personal information that we hold and you have the right to be informed of; (a) the source of your personal information; (b) the purposes, legal basis and methods of processing; (c) the data controller’s identity; and (d) the entities or categories of entities to whom your personal information may be transferred.Right to rectify or erase personal informationYou have a right to request that we rectify inaccurate personal information. We may seek to verify the accuracy of the personal information before rectifying it.You can also request that we erase your personal information in the following limited circumstances:
- where it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected; or
- where you have withdrawn your consent (where the data processing was based on consent); or
- following a successful right to object (see right to object); or
- where it has been processed unlawfully; or
- to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
We are not required to comply with your request to erase personal information if the processing of your personal information is necessary:
- for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Right to restrict the processing of your personal information
You can ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information, but only where:
- its accuracy is contested, to allow us to verify its accuracy; or
- the processing is unlawful, but you do not want it erased; or
- it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected, but you still need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- you have exercised the right to object, and verification of overriding grounds is pending.
We can continue to use your personal information following a request for restriction, where:
- we have your consent; or
- to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- to protect the rights of another natural or legal person.
Right to transfer your personal information
You can ask us to provide your personal information to you in a structured, commonly used, machine readable format, or you can ask to have it transferred directly to another data controller, but in each case only where:
- the processing is based on your consent or on the performance of a contract with you; and
- the processing is carried out by automated means.
Right to object to the processing of your personal information
You can object to any processing of your personal information which has our legitimate interests as its legal basis, if you believe your fundamental rights and freedoms outweigh our legitimate interests.If you raise an objection, we have an opportunity to demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate interests which override your rights and freedoms.Right to object to how we use your personal information for direct marketing purposesYou can request that we change the manner in which we contact you for marketing purposes.You can request that we not transfer your personal information to unaffiliated third parties for the purposes of direct marketing or any other purposes.
Right to obtain a copy of personal information safeguards used for transfers outside your jurisdiction
You can ask to obtain a copy of, or reference to, the safeguards under which your personal information is transferred outside of the European Union.We may redact data transfer agreements to protect commercial terms.
Right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority
You have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority (the contact details for which are set out in the Complaints section of this Privacy Notice) if you have concerns about how we are processing your personal information.We ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us first, although you have a right to contact your supervisory authority at any time.
If you have questions or comments about our Privacy Notice or if you wish to exercise your rights mentioned above, please contact our Data Protection Officer by:Email: email@example.com;Post: Data Protection Officer, Elm Bungalow Sewardstone Rd, Waltham Abbey, EN9 3QF; orTelephone: 07792 648 436
If you have any concerns or complaints as to how we have handled your personal data you may lodge a complaint with the UK’s data protection regulator, the ICO, who can be contacted through their website at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/ or by writing to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF